Ovoca consisted of aprx. 400 acres of woodland and farming with many tranquil settings, including a lake and beautiful 70 foot waterfall, located about two miles from Tullahoma.
Ovoca was purchased in 1908 at a cost of $6,000.00 by the Knights of Pythias for a Pythian home for widows and orphans. Numerous buildings were built on the site including a home, barn, cottages, administrative building, dormitorys, dining hall, etc.. Also a beautiful camping and picnic area was built on this property near the beautiful waterfalls for the use of church groups and other visitors.
Mr. Roy Fagg served as Ovoca Superintendent and operated the farm.
Many subordinate lodges owned cottages at Ovoca where their members could visit and have a place to stay.
Ovoca was sold to Dan Marcum of Tullahoma 9/25/1976. The Marcums renovated the Superintendent’s house and moved into it, keeping the “Heart of Ovoca” behind the main gate where most of the widows and orphans home activity took place.
Ovoca was home to the Knights of Pythias of Tennessee from 1908 to 1976. The Ovoca Holding Board was formed to manage, oversee and maintain the farm and Ovoca Widows and Orphans Home. Today the Holding Board manages and maintains the Ovoca financial investments of the Grand Lodge.